Fire officials say a wayward cigarette butt is likely the culprit in a fire that destroyed a shed and scorched grass in Litchfield Township, Thursday morning. 

Litchfield firefighters were called out to a reported grass fire in the 8000 block of West Sterling Road, around 9:00 am. 

The Hillsdale County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene. 

Fire Chief Scott Skelly told WCSR news, crews arrived to find the flames from the grass fire had reached a ten-by-ten storage shed; The shed was gutted…

Skelly said the property owners were not at home at the time the fire started…

He said it’s likely that a passerby tossed a cigarette butt into dry leaves sparking the blaze. 

About ten firefighters were on the scene for just over an hour, clearing around 10:30 am.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.